Must be available to work Wesmen events which occur in the evenings and weekends.
Media co-ordination encompasses Website, Social, Print. TV, Radio, Webcasting along with Wesmen, Canada West, USports.
- Develops, coordinates and implements a comprehensive communications strategy for the Athletic Department, liaise with Marketing and Communications and the President’s office when required.
- Insures all information requirements (providing and reporting) for Canada West and USports leagues are met on a daily and/or weekly basis consistent with the University of Winnipeg policies and procedures.
- Utilizes written word (press) to news releases, special interest stories, website content, live streaming, photography, video, website, social media oversight and other tools to increase Wesmen athletic department.
- Responds to inquiries from a range of internal and external contacts and stakeholders and represents the department as a spokesperson with these groups.
- Coordinates and directs Wesmen webcasts, this includes producing scripts, tutoring on air staff, overseeing production; maintain video content; and quality control.
- Performs on air interviews, play by play or colour and operate a camera when necessary.
- Oversight of hiring of staff (Event Assistants, photographers, broadcast and webcast staff) for game day and special events. Train staff to effectively perform in their role. Schedule staff and submit bi-weekly time sheets to payroll.
- Updates and maintains the Athletic Department’s social media.
- Coordinates and maintains the Wesmen Athletic website, which would include updating and supplying materials to keep the website fresh and relevant.
- Coordinates game day sports information which includes preparation of news releases, background and statistical information, overseeing game day announcers and preparing their scripts.
- Takes and keeps a bank of all photos related to activity when needed and coordinates with the Wesmen photographer.
- Works with Athletic Director to support sport related fundraising and development activities, which include participation on major athletic fundraising committees.
- Assists in the planning of special events help by the department including but not limited to Wesmen Awards night, Duckworth Challenge, Wesmen Classic, other tournaments etc.
- Creates and implements outreach initiatives with High Schools, Athletic Clubs, Community groups and not for profit groups in which Wesmen Athletes can participate in to boost exposure of UW Athletic programs as well as to increase their presence in the community.
- Working with coaches in conjunction with recruiting visits by potential student athletes.
- Undergraduate degree, either in in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or Sport Management.
- Diploma directly related to the job from recognized institution.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in sport management and or communications within a national institutional environment; preferably working extensively with local and national media.
- Experience with writing, editing and preparing materials for publications, including organizing photo shoots, taking digital photographs.
- Expertise in planning and promotion of events.
- Two or more years experience in web design, web management and maintenance preferably in the communications or athletics field.
- Knowledge and ability to use multi social media platforms (Facebook, twitter, LindedIn, Instagram, etc).
- Experience in hosting/producing television/radio sports show programs along with experience using audio/video equipment as well as experience in video editing.
- 2 years of marketing experience.
- Experience with hiring, training, motivating and managing staff.
- Superior writing, editorial and communication experience, strong presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, creative-thinking and the ability to work both in a team environment as well as independently.
- Ability to make daily operational decisions pertaining to sports information, plan and adjust work assignments to ensure publication and distribution timelines are met.
- Capable in dealing with multiple and changing deadlines, plan and adjust work assignments to ensure publication and distribution timelines are met.
- Flexibility in work hours including frequent evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge of media relations with the demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team leaders and members.
- Passionate about USports/CanadaWest/Amateur sports; solid understanding of multiple sports.
- Attention to detail is critical, demonstrated experience to organize work, manage multiple projects, strong independent problem solving capabilities.
- Adherence to detail and task completion in a timely and accurate manner, the ability to manage multiple projects and to prioritize to achieve deadlines.
- Experience in athletic event promotions and sponsorship development and programming as asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Word, Excel, Access or other Database programs.
- Familiarity with analytic tools such as Google Analytics, Web Trends, Facebook insights, Twitter Analytics and others with the ability to interpret data.
- Ability to network and build relationships with internal/external agencies(locally and nationally) to promote Wesmen Athletics.
OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
The Collective Agreement between The University of Winnipeg and The Association of Employees Supporting Education Services (AESES), Clause 6.3, Selection for Vacancy, states: The Employer agrees that Employees with seniority shall have preference in connection with appointments so far as it is practicable to do so, provided that their qualifications are relatively equal.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, first preference must be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.