Note: The work described in this posting will be conducted in-person.
All members of the UW Community and anyone who seeks entry to indoor campus spaces are required to comply with the University of Winnipeg’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: https://www.uwinnipeg.ca/institutional-analysis/docs/policies/vaccine-policy.pdf
Student Recruitment markets the University’s programs and services to promote the recruitment and admission of both domestic and international students. The Student Recruitment and Communications Officer (SRCO) engages prospective students, parents, guidance counsellors, teachers, community organizations, and educational organizations both as a recruiter and as a communications officer.
- Manages the student recruitment publication portfolio which includes all print and digital materials produced in support of domestic and international undergraduate recruitment efforts.
- Provides input on editorial layouts and concept development and planning.
- Takes a leadership role in creating and editing written content for publication in all Student Recruitment promotional materials.
- Creates, writes and produces monthly e-newsletters promoting the activities and key communication messages of other student services and academic departments for various audiences.
- Monitors UWinnipeg communications, manages the Student Recruitment social media channels and designs/executes promotional campaigns.
- Creates informative, exciting and relevant presentations for a variety of different audiences to be delivered by Student Recruitment Officers through in-person and online presentations.
- Designs and loads lists and templates for mass communications and designs communication plans and drip campaigns.
- Sets up virtual booths for Student Recruitment events (writing descriptions, uploading materials, photos and videos, selecting relevant content and links to tailor setup to the audience).
- In collaboration with the Director, engages with digital marketing partners to monitor and review quarterly results and tweak content to meet recruitment goals.
- Reviews monthly Google Analytics reports for UWinnipeg website traffic on SR-related pages, to identify trends and opportunities.
- Plans, organizes and conducts presentations, workshops and on-campus visits.
- Maintains good working relations with domestic and international high school counsellors, acting as the main point of contact for The University of Winnipeg.
- Informs prospective students about the undergraduate application and admissions experience and provides information regarding the full range and types of undergraduate programs.
- Provides detailed and specific information about the programs and application processes at The Collegiate, PACE (Professional, Applied and Continuing Education), English Language Program and Graduate Studies.
- Represents the University at student fairs, career fairs, and other recruitment outreach opportunities.
- Supervises and gives direction to Student Ambassadors during visits to high schools or during participation in on-campus or off-campus events and recruitment activities.
- Represents The University in targeted international markets as required.
- Researches and plans travel itineraries and schedules for recruitment activities, in collaboration with Coordinator and/or Director and in accordance with University policy.
- Completes and maintains high school visits and other student recruitment activity summaries and reports.
- Prepares thorough and comprehensive trip reports detailing background, materials used, itinerary and logistics, a summary of activities, market analysis, and thoughts and recommendations on the specific events, as well as the market as a whole.
- Maintains accurate records of interactions with agent partners, school counsellors, and other contacts in CRM system (Recruit), for continuity and review by Coordinator and Director.
- Coordinates activities with external organizations and represents the department on internal and external committees, as needed.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote other Student Services Departments and Academic Faculties and Departments in support of overall enrolment objectives.
- Completes event registrations, and uses departmental materials to set up digital event pages and virtual booths. Communicates with organizers prior to event and obtains list of leads for post-event follow-up.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline such as Marketing, Rhetoric and Communications, Public Relations
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a professional writing or content creation capacity (journalism, advertising, marketing, public relations).
- Directly related experience in marketing, communications, student recruitment or public relations considered an asset.
- Must have knowledge and experience using social media (Instagram, Facebook, etc.) in a professional setting to engage with a particular audience.
- Must have excellent working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) for the purposes of creating visually engaging presentations, handouts, etc.
- Must have good working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop for photo editing.
- Must have a good working knowledge of the nature, purpose and value of a university education and be able to communicate that to various audiences including prospective students of all ages, parents, guidance counsellors, teachers and other educators.
- Detailed knowledge of The University of Winnipeg’s academic and extra-curricular programs and functions of The University at all levels is essential.
- Knowledge of web analytics considered an asset.
- Familiarity with a Customer Relationship Management system considered an asset (e.g. Salesforce, Recruit, Banner).
- Must have strong interpersonal and oral presentation skills, ability to improvise.
- Must have strong organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability and desire to establish positive relationships with students from diverse backgrounds and be able to work collaboratively and effectively with a variety of full-time and student employees, faculty, staff, students and administrators.
- Must be able to relate positively, professionally, confidentially and with cultural sensitivity toward prospective students, high school administration and faculty and be able to relate constructively with a variety of people both on and off campus.
- Must be able to cope successfully with fluctuations in workloads and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have a high level of personal integrity and professional initiative.
An equivalent combination of education, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities may be considered.
Condition(s) of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Must hold a valid Manitoba Driver’s license.
- Must hold a valid passport.
- Must be available to travel in Manitoba, out of province, and internationally.
- Must be willing to work evenings and/or incur overtime, as required.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff and faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research environments, and is essential to academic and institutional excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, racialized persons, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+ persons to confidentially self-identify at time of application.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact Sheena Laurin, HR Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-988-7648.
The personal information of applicants is collected under the authority of the University of Winnipeg Act and 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. All personal information collected via the recruitment process is used to assess the applicant’s suitability, eligibility, and qualifications for employment, and to otherwise support recruitment activities. This information will be provided to participating members of the recruitment process. Questions regarding the collection of your personal information may be directed to the Director, HR Services, 515 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2E9 or 204.786.9066.