Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and working in collaboration with the Marketing & Lotteries Manager and the Chief Executive Officer, the Marketing and Communications Coordinator will be responsible for executing communication initiatives that support the growth and recognition of the Society for Manitobans with Disabilities (SMD) brand across various channels.
The Marketing & Communications Coordinator is responsible for marketing materials (from conception to delivery), website maintenance, social media activity, supporting and promoting events, campaigns, programs, services and fundraising, and helping to adapt messaging to best communicate SMD to multiple target audiences.
Coordinate and manage all aspects of marketing, planning, promotion and public relations support of SMD;
Coordinate the creation and distribution of community reports, ads and media releases;
Support key events through the provision of marketing support;
Assess the results of marketing efforts and adjust strategies as needed;
Develop SMD’s written materials (brochures, newsletters, etc.).
Ensure that the language of written materials is compelling, accurate, professional and credible;
Gather information to research, write and edit stories and materials:
- Conduct interviews by phone, email and in-person and craft stories in a timely manner.
- Taking photographs of consumers, staff, participants & events, etc.
- Creating videos of events, programs, & stories (consumers, staff, participants) to be used on the various social media platforms (YouTube, etc.)
- Verifying proper release forms are on file and properly identified for anyone photographed or interviewed.
- As needed, adapt written communications into other formats including web, video or presentations;
- Develop and manage content for SMD’s website;
- Coordinate SMD’s social media activities through the various channels (Facebook, Twitter, etc.);
- Provides advice and solutions on how to best communicate ideas and information to various target audiences;
- Support and promote the Foundation’s fundraising campaigns.
- A degree or diploma in communications with at least one year experience in writing, editing, and researching.
- Design background in DMD (Digital Media Design) would be an asset.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with a high level of literacy.
- Strong attention to detail is required.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, and problem solving skills are required.
- Self starter, capable of identifying the need for and taking independent action while providing updates on a consistent basis to direct supervisor.
- Ability to handle pressure while balancing priorities within time and resource constraints.
- Unparalleled personal integrity and a strong work ethic.
- Extraordinary energy, drive and initiative.
- Ability to work both in a team environment as well as independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively with volunteers and staff.
- Proficiency with WordPress and Microsoft Office products including PowerPoint and Excel.
- Excel in using Adobe Creative Suite software including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Strong knowledge of Social media platforms including paid advertising and social media analytics. – working knowledge of HootSuite or alike programs would be important.
- A basic knowledge of fundraising practices and principles.
- Valid Manitoba Driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- American Sign Language (ASL) and bilingualism (French/English) would be assets.