Position Title: Level II Bindery Machine Operator
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent;
- Experience as a machine operator specifically relating to book binding and/or box making;
- Able to effectively communicate in English both verbally and in writing;
- Mechanical inclination;
- Above average mathematical aptitude;
- Strong attention to detail and precision;
- Strong work ethic;
- Proven organization and problem-solving capabilities;
- Ability to work independently in a busy environment;
- Able to work as a functioning member of a team;
- Able to work well under pressure, able to work well under tight deadlines;
- Must have a high stress tolerance and the ability to maintain a positive outlook even when things do not always go as planned;
- Experience with routine maintenance operations;
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment;
- Able to deal with people diplomatically and professionally at all times;
- Highly punctual;
- Basic computer skills;
- Ability and willingness to work 12-hour shifts;
- Experience with routine machine maintenance preferred;
- Ability and willingness to work overtime as required;
- Continuous improvement mindset.
Level II Encaser Operator:
The Level II Encaser Operator is responsible for the setup of the back-gluer area of the encasing line as required for the job. He/she works in collaboration with the Lead Encaser Operator and support staff.
Level II Perfect Binder Operator:
The Level II Perfect Binder Operator is responsible for the setup of the three-knife trimmer on the soft cover binding line. Perfect binding is the process where either flat sheets or signatures (a sheet with multiple pages printed on it) are bound together using a flexible adhesive with a wrap-around cover that creates a square-shaped spine. The Level II Operator is also responsible for the packing instructions of perfect bound books as recorded in electronic docket instructions. He/she works in collaboration with the Lead Perfect Binder Operator and support staff.
Level II Multiplex Operator:
The Level II Multiplex Operator is responsible for the operation of the sewing machines producing sewn book blocks from collated signatures on the Multiplex System. He/she works in collaboration with the Lead Perfect Binder Operator and support staff.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work and communicate effectively with the lead operator, production support staff, Managers and Shift Managers;
- Handle machine set up and assembly for the production run:
- Understand the job requirements from information on the docket and related information and as communicated by the lead operator;
- Run samples making necessary adjustments;
- Perform periodic visual checks and inspections;
- Run stock for the job;
- Stack components neatly on skids;
- Identify finished component storage;
- Return docket;
- Assist lead operator in performing machine maintenance as described in the Machine Maintenance Binder and the Operator’s Manual;
- Practice Friesens safety procedure for equipment and plant situations;
- Perform any other job assignments as assigned by the Shift Manager or Manager.
If you have not yet taken your language testing (IELTS or CELPIP) or the results of your language testing are more than two years old, you may still be considered for this position. However, your language test must be booked at the time of creating a SEED profile. If you have booked your language test and it is scheduled within the next 2 months you may answer “yes” to the language testing question on the SEED ATS. (Evidence of language testing appointment required as part of your SEED profile.)
Please review the job postings carefully and ONLY submit applications for the job(s) that are a fit with your skills and experience. You are encouraged to clearly identify in your application how you meet all the mandatory requirements of the position. Our community is limiting candidates to a maximum of 3 active job applications at a time. An active job application is any job application that you have submitted through the Candidate Profile. You may also withdraw a job application, if you want to apply to another job posting that is a better fit with your skills and experience.