Position Title: Bindery Machine Operator
· High School diploma, GED or equivalent;
·Experience as a machine operator specifically relating to book binding and/or box making;
· Able to effectively communicate in English both verbally and in writing;
· Mechanical inclination;
· Above average mathematical aptitude;
· Strong attention to detail and precision;
· Strong work ethic;
· Proven organization and problem-solving capabilities;
· Ability to work independently in a busy environment;
· Able to work as a functioning member of a team;
· Able to work well under pressure, able to work well under tight deadlines;
· Must have a high stress tolerance and the ability to maintain a positive outlook even when things do not always go as planned;
· Experience with routine maintenance operations;
· Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment;
· Able to deal with people diplomatically and professionally at all times;
· Highly punctual;
· Basic computer skills;
· Ability and willingness to work 12-hour shifts;
· Experience with routine machine maintenance preferred;
· Ability and willingness to work overtime as required;
· Continuous improvement mindset.
Bindery Machine Operators are responsible to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the equipment. Machine Operators are responsible to make running adjustments as needed to produce a high-quality product to the prescribed quantity. Other responsibilities include troubleshooting basic machine performance, making machine adjustments as needed and calling for additional maintenance resources as required.
The Folding Machine converts printed press sheets/end sheet stock into folded signatures/folded end sheets.
The Cutter Operator trims a variety of materials to predetermined sizes following individual job instructions recorded on an electronic docket.
The Case Maker Operator is responsible for the operation of a case making machine producing hard cover cases for books.
Cover Decorating Operator:
The Cover Decorating Operator operates embossing machines for the purpose of decorating book cases or covers as required. This includes applying foil stamping, debossing and embossing, and combinations of foil and emboss.
The Laminating machine applies plastic coating to job components including covers and dust jackets.
The Universe Operator is responsible for the operation of a machine that takes flat, digitally printed sheets and folds, collates and sews these sheets. This process results in a sewn book block which is ready to go to the encasing step. As the Hunkeler Operator, he/she is responsible to unwind the roll of printed paper that is produced by the HP Press.
The Uniplex Operator is responsible for the operation of the sewing machines producing sewn book blocks from collated signatures on the Uniplex System.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
· Work and communicate effectively with the Manager, Shift Managers and co-workers;
· Carry out jobs according to the schedule or as directed by the Shift Manager;
· Manage the machine operation for quality, efficiency, and productivity:
o Understand the job requirements from information on the docket and other sources;
o Request and arrange the components of the job in advance;
o Locate the required components of the job and move them;
o Set up/program the machine as required;
o Flip skids on skid turner as necessary;
o Run sample product making necessary adjustments:
- Run job to the quantities required;
- Perform periodic visual and measurement checks;
- Stack folded product neatly on skids;
- Identify finished lifts with accurate counts;
- Arrange for storage of the product;
- Return docket;
· Perform machine maintenance as described in the Maintenance Binder and the Operator’s Manual;
· Practice Friesens safety procedure for equipment and plant situations;
· Perform any other job assignments as assigned by the Shift Manager or Manager;
If you have not yet taken your language testing (IELTS or CELPIP) or the results of your language testing are more than two years old, you may still be considered for this position. However, your language test must be booked at the time of creating a SEED profile. If you have booked your language test and it is scheduled within the next 2 months you may answer “yes” to the language testing question on the SEED ATS. (Evidence of language testing appointment required as part of your SEED profile.)Please review the job postings carefully and ONLY submit applications for the job(s) that are a fit with your skills and experience. You are encouraged to clearly identify in your application how you meet all the mandatory requirements of the position. Our community is limiting candidates to a maximum of 3 active job applications at a time. An active job application is any job application that you have submitted through the Candidate Profile. You may also withdraw a job application, if you want to apply to another job posting that is a better fit with your skills and experience.