MITT is a post-secondary institute offering industry-driven, student-focused education in the areas of skilled trades, business and information technology, health care, and human services. We provide affordable, timely, skills-based education for learners seeking career entry as well as those looking to acquire relevant, in-demand competencies at any point in life.
Summer Student - Bilingual Student Ambassador (Term)
Term: As soon as possible to August 13, 2021
Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (35 hours/week)
Location: English Language Institute and/or working remotely maybe required
This position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs Grant and the selected candidate must be:
- between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*; and
- legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
*International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.18 – 30 years of age and must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Reporting to the Manager, English Language Institute, the English Language Institute (ELI) Student Ambassador will assist MITT’s Student Life department with a variety of initiatives including developing and distributing promotional materials for ELI student activities, providing current and prospective students with general MITT information, assisting with event planning, orientation activities and other duties as assigned. The ELI Student Ambassador will support MITT staff in planning ELI student activities and student orientations, will help promote and attend events and orientations. They will also support administrative duties including correspondence and promotion of events.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assists in the execution of all socio-cultural events.
- Promotion of all socio-cultural events to students through daily interaction at break and lunch times, building relationships to encourage participation.
- Assists with creation of posters for event or online advertising of events.
- Update student billboards with current event poster, student opportunities, and relevant news and announcements.
- Organizes and maintains resource files for each socio-cultural event.
- Attends meetings with instructor supervisor assigned to each event to review event outline campus events.
- Will be responsible to capture photos and short videos during socio-cultural event and file into photo bank for promotional purposes.
- May be responsible to supervise groups of students during off campus events.
- Provide front desk support or relief, including but not limited to answering phones, filing, and projects as assigned.
- May support Program Coordinator with duties as assigned.
Required and Preferred Qualifications and Experience
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Some post-secondary education
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and French
- Experience providing customer service or event planning preferred
- Cross-cultural communication skills
- Reliable and accountable
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Able to supervise large groups of adult students both off and on campus and online
- Problem solving abilities
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions. Underfills may be considered and are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be accepted until Monday, June 7, 2021. Submit your resume and cover letter using our online application system. We are growing, come grow with us.
MITT offers a challenging, team-oriented work environment, competitive income and benefits,
and opportunities for professional and personal growth and development.
MITT is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free work environment, beginning with the hiring process. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, applicants are asked to inform us if they require an accommodation. All information received as it relates to accommodation will be kept confidential.
MITT is committed to an employment equity practice that achieves a workforce reflective of the community at large. Applicants are encouraged to self-declare at the time they apply.
This position requires the successful completion of a Criminal Record check including vulnerable sector.
Please do not disclose personal health information or protected personal information through the application process.