MITT is a post-secondary institute offering industry-driven, student-focused education in the areas of skilled trades, business and information technology, health care, and human services. We provide affordable, timely, skills-based education for learners seeking career entry as well as those looking to acquire relevant, in-demand competencies at any point in life.
Student Communications Coordinator
Start Date: As soon as possible
Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (35 hours/week)
Location: 7 Fultz Campus and/or remotely, as required
Reporting to the Manager, Student Records & Registration, the Student Communications Coordinator is responsible for ensuring the timely and effective distribution of student communications. Develops, implements, evaluates and monitors student communication strategies, plans, publications and information materials, from the point of admission through graduation, specifically focused on the student-facing administrative services carried out by the Registrar’s Office (RO) and Academic/Instructional teams.
The Student Communications Coordinator is accountable to complete a comprehensive review of MITT’s current RO/Academic student communications, identifying gaps, redundancies and improvements to ensure that accurate information is provided to students in a timely manner for the purpose of informed decision-making and effective delivery of services. The incumbent will participate in the implementation of an overall student communication plan for the institution and is the lead for coordinating the Registrar’s Office and Academic communications components of this plan, implementing improvements and ensuring appropriate touch points with students at all stages of the communications cycle.
The incumbent will carry out these responsibilities through effective collaboration across multiple departments; cultivating positive working relationships with internal stakeholders, with the goal of establishing and maintaining excellent customer (student) service standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring all communications initiatives and materials are created in consultation with MITT’s External Relations department and in compliance with MITT’s visual identity guidelines and branding parameters.
The Student Communications Coordinator provides direct support to the Registrar and Manager, Student Records and Registration, and must understand and represent the position and priorities of the RO and Academic/Instructional team as well as the overarching priorities and communications direction of the institution at large. A high degree of initiative, independence and ability to achieve results without explicit guidance is required.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversees and coordinates the student communications cycle at MITT from the point of admission through to graduation.
- Responsible for accurate and timely dissemination of student information and communications, with a focus on important dates and deadlines, registration, onboarding, academic and program-specific communications, and graduation, including emergency communications (e.g. campus closures, Covid-19 notifications). Dissemination vehicles include email, newsletter, MITT’s student information and learning management systems, and online and social media content.
- Analyzes information such as program-specific dates and details, tuition and fees, and policy/procedural documentation, identifies the appropriate structure and content for RO websites and other communications, and posts/disseminates information as required, ensuring user (student) digestibility.
- Researches and writes draft content for materials distributed by the RO and Academic units. Develops forms to support RO/Academic services. Edits and reviews the content of these documents and forms to ensure they clearly reflect and effectively articulate policies, procedures, processes, as well as MITT’s overarching brand and messaging direction.
- Monitors and reviews communications for effectiveness, efficiency and clarity and makes recommendations for continuous improvement and consistency with MITT materials. Seizes opportunities to tailor new and innovative student communications throughout the year to improve the student experience at MITT.
- Accountable to undertake a comprehensive review of MITT’s current student communications, with a focus on RO and Academic web content, email communications, social media and system-based dissemination of information. Through cross-departmental consultation with stakeholders, including consultation with applicants and students, and research into other institutions’ websites and messaging, identifies gaps and redundancies and makes recommendations for and implements improvements to MITT’s current student communications.
- Develops improved content and methods of communication and coordinates the implementation of these improvements within the established focus areas. Specifically, contributes extensively to improvements to student-facing website content/copy with the goal of improving the user web experience at MITT.
- Coordinates directly with all areas of the RO and academic units, and collaborates with the External Relations, Recruitment, Student Services and Alumni teams at MITT to establish a comprehensive student communication cycle from prospect to alumni, ensuring appropriate and effective touch points with students at all stages of the communications cycle.
- Develops and maintains strong service standards/turnaround times and efficient business processes for the dissemination of student communications.
- Participates in Academic Calendar discussions, planning and implementation, and takes responsibility for content and tasks as assigned.
- Ensures that FIPPA and PHIA protocols and processes are maintained and respected.
- Serves on internal and external committees as appropriate.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- College or university diploma or degree in a related discipline. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Fluency in English essential. Strong written and verbal communication skills and exceptional ability to effectively communicate and exchange information.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Builds rapport quickly; friendly and professional manner.
- Exceptionally customer driven; passionate about the student experience. Actively works to identify and understand student needs; puts forward ideas and solutions to continuously improve the student experience and business performance at MITT.
- Ability to translate policy and procedural content into easily digestible content for a student audience.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs. Solid IT skills and ability to navigate student enterprise systems.
- Strong attention to detail and high level of accuracy. Demonstrated track record of strong results.
- Trustworthy, dependable and reliable. Ability to work independently and perform well in a team-oriented, collaborative atmosphere.
- Exceptional decision-making skills and autonomy. Takes ownership and accountability through to resolution.
- Motivated, with a willingness to strive for ongoing improvement. Displays a positive can-do attitude.
- Quick learner; quick to pick up and apply knowledge. Ability to receive constructive criticism in order to improve skillset.
- Ability to work well under pressure. Excellent organisational skills and ability to manage conflicting priorities and deadline-driven activities efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Ability to demonstrate international and cultural sensitivities
- Resilient; can quickly bounce back from setbacks, keeps positive and maintains focus on the end goal. Adaptable and flexible; can cope well with change
- Willingness to work evenings and the occasional weekend during certain times of the year
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience in an educational setting.
- Education or experience in a communications and/or customer relations field.
- Project management experience is an asset; demonstrated ability to successfully operationalize projects/programs with minimum oversight.
- Understanding of and experience with web and social media platforms and student-facing enterprise systems preferred.
- Understanding of effective marketing tactics.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions. Underfills may be considered and are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be accepted until Wednesday, December 9, 2020. Submit your cover letter, including salary expectations, and resume using our online application system. We are growing, come grow with us.
MITT offers a challenging, team-oriented work environment, competitive income and benefits,
and opportunities for professional and personal growth and development.
MITT is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free work environment, beginning with the hiring process. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, applicants are asked to inform us if they require an accommodation. All information received as it relates to accommodation will be kept confidential.
MITT is committed to an employment equity practice that achieves a workforce reflective of the community at large. Applicants are encouraged to self-declare at the time they apply.
This position requires the successful completion of a Criminal Record check including vulnerable sector.
Please do not disclose personal health information or protected personal information through the application process.