The Canadian Light Source Inc. (CLSI) is the national synchrotron research facility on the University of Saskatchewan campus in Saskatoon. This facility produces high intensity synchrotron light, millions of times brighter than sunlight, to explore the nature and structure of molecules and serves national and international users from academia, industry, and government institutions. The CLS facilitates scientific research aimed at finding solutions for global challenges in agriculture, health, advanced materials, and the environment.
The Canadian Light Source is currently recruiting for a Summer Student - BMIT within the Bio/Life Sciences Department. Reporting to the BMIT Beamline Responsible Scientist, this position will be a full-time summer position starting on Monday, May 4th and concluding on Friday, August 28th or as discussed with the direct supervisor(s).
- The primary focus of the Summer Student will be to assist beamline staff in the design, assembly, and testing of a “plug-and-play” box for annealing of radiation damage in microscope objectives with UV light.
- Participate in modeling of mechanical stress/heat transfer in bend Silicon crystals
- Assist with CAD of minor components
- The student may also assist staff with user support tasks, data processing, as well as basic beamline maintenance and upkeep.
- Working evenings and weekends may be required throughout the summer term.
- Student with mechanical/electrical engineering or engineering physics background
- Experience with DIY projects is an asset
- Understanding of boundary value problems and knowledge of ANSYS is an asset
- Ability to work independently and in a group setting
- Excellent attention to details
Remuneration: Remuneration is consistent with the University of Saskatchewan Undergraduate Student Assistant Rates.
To Apply: Submit a resume along with references, in confidence, online at www.lightsource.ca/careers. Applications will be considered as of February 3rd, 2020, and will continue until the position is filled. While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canadian Light Source Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and encourages members of designated groups (women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities and visible minorities) to self-identify on their applications).