Reporting to the Controller, the Financial Analyst works as part of a team to provide detailed analysis and reporting for key business partners in the organization. This includes the preparation and evaluation of budgets, forecasts and other financial analyses for use throughout the organization while also supporting the on-going accounting department functions.
- Participate in the compilation of annual operating and capital budgets;
- Participate in the development of financial models and reporting to management for forecasting, trending and results analysis;
- Analyze financial data and interpret results to measure past performance and/or to project financial results
- Conduct interest sensitivity analysis and margin analysis;
- Reports on performance in relation to established budgets;
- Prepares and analyzes direct and indirect cost reporting;
- Prepares financial analyses ensuring accuracy and completeness through analytical review and identifies areas of opportunities or risk;
- Uses various software applications, such as spreadsheets, databases, financial modeling and forecasting, and general ledger accounting software;
- Maintains current and relevant knowledge of industry trends, accounting and regulatory practices;
- Conducts research and provides direction to ensure compliance with current accounting standards (GAAP/IFRS);
- Understands, respects, and supports the Credit Union’s commitment to corporate social responsibility.
Education and experience
The competencies for the position would typically be acquired through the achievement of a university degree and one to three years of related work experience. Working towards a recognized accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA) would be considered an asset.
Key Occupational Skills
- Financial analysis/modeling
- Extensive knowledge of accounting principles, practices and applications
- Financial management concepts
- Knowledge of audit policies, procedures and practices
- Knowledge of budget preparation and financial projections
- Professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Working knowledge of MS Access
- Proficiency with MS Excel
- Knowledge of credit union philosophies and principles
We are committed to workforce diversity and actively recruit people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives reflecting the community in which we live and work.